Designed by W.G.R.Sprague in 1906 and originally called the Hicks Theatre and then The Globe in 1909 before changing its name to the Gielgud Theatre in 1995, the tall, handsome wooden doors lead from the street into a cool atrium and delightful butterscotch foyer ornamented with gold mirrors.
Like its neighbours, the Apollo, Lyric and Queens theatres, which line Shaftesbury Avenue between Piccadilly Circus and Cambridge Circus, it is now owned by Delfont Mackintosh Theatres. More Information
Gielgud Theatre Access and Facilities
Gielgud Theatre, Shaftesbury Avenue, London, W1D 6AR
- Theatre facilities for disabled access
- Guide Dogs permitted.
- Tube: Piccadilly Circus
- Taxis: Hail a cab outside the theatre
- Nearby bus routes: 14, 19, 38
- Westminter City Council car park at Poland Street and China Town. NCP at Wardour Street, Newport Place, Lexington Street.
- Infrared facilities for the hard of hearing
- Theatre air-conditioning
- Theatre Bars – 3: Foyer, Stalls and Dress Circle
- Concessions: Ice Cream, confectionery and programmes
- Theatre toilets: Stalls: 2 x Ladies, 1 x gents. Dress Circle: Ladies and Gents. Upper Circle2 x Ladies 1 x Gents