Designed by Thomas Verity in 1874, the Criterion Theatre is sited entirely underground. Because the theatre was lit by gas, as all theatres were at the time, the authorities were reluctant to give the venue its licence. It wasn’t until a scheme was approved to pump fresh air in from above that the licence was granted!
All the tile work throughout the theatre dates back to 1874. Refurbished to it’s original splendor of pink, cream and gold. More information
Criterion Theatre Access and Facilities
Criterion Theatre, Piccadilly Circus, London, W1Y 4WA
- Guide Dogs allowed – please notify theatre when booking
- Tube: Piccadilly Circus
- Taxis: Walk around to Haymarket or Lower Regent Street to hail a cab
- Nearby bus routes: 3, 6, 9, 12, 13, 14, 15, 19, 22, 23, 38, 88, 94, 139, 159, 453
- Theatre facilities for the hard of hearing
- Theatre air-conditioning
- Theatre Bars – 2: Stalls and Dress Circle
- Concessions: Ice Cream, confectionery and programmes
- Theatre Toilets: Dress Circle: Ladies and Gents.
Future, current and past productions at the Criterion Theatre
Close to You, The 39 Steps, The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (abdridged)