It is a little known fact that I always wanted to get married during early Spring with pink cherry blossom in my hair, as love would have it I got married in the month of September with blue corn flowers entwining my “up-do”.
However what is a well known fact is that more people get married in the Spring & Summer months than at any time of the year and therefore as when enter into “flaming” June Wedding season is well and truly upon us.
For all those currently planning, or have already done the deed, organising a wedding can be pretty stressful especially as more & more couples are taking on the arrangements themselves rather than other family members chipping in financially and physically. As you know it can be mentally and financially draining when you want everything perfect for your special day. And after all the expense of hiring a venue, paying for reception food & drink, dresses, suits, flowers… the list goes on & on, you then have to find extra resources to book a honeymoon.
But, fear not Theatre Breaks is on hand to offer a cheaper, and quite possibly a less stressful, option with something a bit different to the usual sand, sea & sand honeymoons. Why not steal yourselves away on a cultural mini-break in the UK immediately after the wedding? A mini-break is the perfect way to have some relaxing time away with your new spouse without any of the stress of planning and saving for a big honeymoon at the same time as planning your wedding – it also gives you more time to plan and budget for a big holiday six months or a year later.
So, with that in mind here are our top UK destinations for a romantic mini-break this Summer…
You may not think it, but England’s capital city is the perfect place to kick off your shoes and relax with huge green open spaces where you can soak up the sun’s rays, historical buildings & museums in abundance to visit, hotels with their own spas where you can pamper yourself silly plus there’s the added attraction of a romantic trip to the theatre in the evening.
Our top shows in London with their own sprinkle of romance are :
1. The Bodyguard – Beverley Knight reprises her role as Rachel Marron in the West End return of The Bodyguard. This show has everything you could want in a musical… a superstar diva, a tough ex CIA personal bodyguard, cute children, a thrilling edge of your seat climax and, of course, a “dance in the aisle” finale which cannot fail to leave you on a high!
Read more about The Bodyguard mini-breaks
2. Beautiful – The Carole King Musical – You will be amazed at just how many songs you will instantly recognise when you watch this show and most of them written by one woman – Carole King. She penned her first No. 1 hit “Will You Love Me Tomorrow” whilst still at school and went on to amazing success both as a solo singer/songwriter and with her writing partner/husband Gerry Goffin.
Read more about Beautiful mini-breaks
3. Mamma Mia – You don’t even have to miss the feeling of the beach and sun-soaked white washed Greek houses when you visit London on your mini-break as the Abba-tastic musical Mamma Mia is bathed in fun in the sun songs which will bring out the Super-Trouper in all of you! Plus it’s all about wedding preparations – what could be more in keeping with celebrating your romantic mini-break?
Read more about Mamma Mia mini-breaks
Scotland’s premier city is steeped in history and amazing architecture. You can visit the stunning Royal Palace of Holyrood, Edinburgh Castle, shop til you drop in Princes Street and, if you are visiting in August, catch one of the many comedy performances at the Edinburgh Festival or even marvel at the pomp & ceremony of the Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo.
Shows at the Edinburgh Playhouse this summer include :
1. Chicago – It may not be the world’s most romantic musical, but it’s certainly the sexiest! Set in a Chicago women’s prison in the 1930s, the sultry inmates tell their stories of woe which ended in their incarceration and some even play the press to the extent it earns them their freedom. With glorious show-tunes like “Me & My Baby”, “Mr Selophane”, Razzle Dazzle” & “All That Jazz” Chicago sizzles on stage and into the aisles!
Read more about Chicago mini-breaks in Edinburgh
2. Cats – This is the PURR-FECT way to celebrate your romantic mini-break in Edinburgh with a mixture of up-tempo, rap and stunning solo swan-songs as the cast of Cats take to the Edinburgh stage this summer. Having had huge success in London, the re-vamped and modernised version of Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Cats remains a favourite for all ages of theatre-goers.
Read more about Cats mini-breaks in Edinburgh
In the heart of the English countryside and set on the banks of the River Avon, William Shakespeare’s birthplace is a prime location for romantic couples taking in the pleasures of the old town’s cobbled streets, the historic buildings housed within and the recently renovated Royal Shakespeare theatre with tables at the Terrace restaurant looking over the river. A trip up the theatre’s specially built tower gives you stunning views across the county of Warwickshire and beyond.
As well as soaking up Stratford on Avon’s history with visits to Shakespeare’s house, his burial place and Anne Hathaway’s cottage, you can take in a play penned by the world famous Bard himself.
During this summer, the Royal Shakespeare Company are performing Cymbeline, Hamlet and King Lear.
Read more about Stratford-upon-Avon mini-breaks